The Kinston-Lenoir County Chamber of Commerce proudly presents the 2017 Southern Sides Awards Sponsors:
• Chef and the Farmer
• The Boiler Room
Eastern North Carolina BBQ is always delicious, but we in the South will never let it stand alone. For years, Southern sides that have been prepared for family, church, social and business gatherings always make that tasty BBQ plate complete!
Join the folks from the Peabody Award-winning PBS hit series "A Chef’s Life" as the BBQ Festival on the Neuse hosts the Fourth Annual Southern Sides Competition. Watch as teams from near and far compete for the People’s Choice and Judges Awards to see who has the best mac n cheese in Eastern North Carolina.
Festival attendees have an opportunity to sample the Southern sides and vote for the "people's choice" award by purchasing a $6 wristband or you can taste both award-winning sauces and Southern sides with a $10 combo wrist band. Why wait? Buy your tickets in advance by calling the Kinston-Lenoir County Chamber of Commerce at 252-527-1131.
Official Contest Rules
A limited number of entries will be accepted. Entry deadline: May 1, 2017.
1. Each entry must be submitted with the $15 entry fee and entry form. Entry forms may be submitted by mail or delivered to the Kinston-Lenoir County Chamber of Commerce at 301 N. Queen Street, Kinston, NC 28501. Entry fees may be paid by check or credit card
2. Employees of the Kinston-Lenoir County Chamber of Commerce, the contest’s participating sponsors and judges, and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to participate and win. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws,” or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related
3. Each cook/team must provide two 13-inch by 9-inch pans of mac n cheese
4. Contestants are responsible for providing their own ingredients and supplies
5. ALL food prepared for judging becomes the property of the BBQ Festival on the Neuse
6. Food may be served only to people wearing an “official taster” sticker. Please do not sell or give away any quantity of food to any person not wearing a sticker whether to be consumed at the event or away from the event
1. Each entry will be judged on a 10-point scale for the categories of Taste, Texture, Appearance and Overall Quality
2. A festival representative will gather one 1-quart sample of food for the blind tasting
3. A People’s Choice winner will be awarded to the entry with the greatest number of votes from the individuals purchasing tickets for the tasting. One ballot will be given to each person purchasing a Southern Sides ticket
4. Each contestant will have a special tag displaying his/her team number that the judges use to identify the food
5. In the event of a tie, the team with the most points in the Tastes category breaks the tie
1. Results will be announced at the BBQ Festival on the Neuse on Saturday, May 6, 2017
2. Results will be available following the event on our website at kinstonbbq.com. Printed results will be available upon request
3. The following awards will be presented:
1st Place Southern Sides Award - $150
Southern Sides People’s Choice Award - $150