Take home "Sauce Boss" bragging rights as Our State magazine sponsors the Sauce Boss Competition during the BBQ Festival on the Neuse! A distinguished panel of judges will choose the award winning sauce!
Festival attendees have an opportunity to sample the sauces and vote for the "people's choice" award by purchasing an $8 wristband. Why wait? Buy your tickets in advance by calling the Kinston-Lenoir County Chamber of Commerce at 252-527-1131.
Sauces will be served with BBQ cooked by pitmaster Sam Jones!
The award sponsor, the Jones Family of the Skylight Inn has been cooking great BBQ the same way over wood for more than 150 years! Enter your killer sauce for only a $20 entry fee!
Sponsors: Skylight Inn & TBA
1. ONLY SAUCES will be judged. NO bastes, rubs, or marinades permitted.
2. You may enter as many sauces as you wish as long as each conforms to all the rules and each is submitted with the entry fee ($20) and entry form.
3. Entry forms with payments may be submitted either by mail or delivered to:
Kinston-Lenoir County Chamber of Commerce
301 N. Queen Street
Kinston, NC 28501
4. Entry fees may be paid by check payable to the Kinston-Lenoir County Chamber of Commerce or credit card.
5. Sauces must be delivered to the Sauce Boss Tent at the BBQ Festival on the Neuse on Friday, May 4, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. or on Saturday, May 5, 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. Arrangements for delivery of any sauce entry prior to 7 p.m., May 4, must be made by calling 252-527-1131.
6. A minimum weight of 32 oz. is required for judging.
7. All items submitted for judging become the property of the BBQ Festival on the Neuse and will not be returned.
8. The sauces will be judged in two divisions: “Professional” or “Backyard.”
9. Employees of the Kinston-Lenoir County Chamber of Commerce, the Contest’s participating sponsors and judges, and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to participate and win. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws,” or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.
1. Sauces will be assigned a number to assure anonymity.
2. Judging will take place Saturday, May 5, between 2 and 4 p.m.
3. Sauces will be judged on appearance, texture, and taste.
4. Ties will be broken by the taste score.
1. Results will be announced at the BBQ Festival on the Neuse, Saturday, May 5, 2018.
2. Results will be available following the event on our website, www.kinstonbbq.com. Printed results will be available upon request.