The Kinston-Lenoir County Chamber of Commerce presents...
BBQ Festival on the Neuse and Wil King Hog Happenin’
Online Cook Team Registration & Rules
Hog Happenin' 2015 Cook Team Registration
Please note, we've received all the registrations we can accept. However, you can get on our wait list in case cook team spots open up. Please fill in the form to get on registered. No payment is necessary. We will contact those on the list should an opening become available.
For more information, please contact Tammy Kelly, 919-495-1116.
Hog Happenin' Rules 2015
Judging will be based on three categories:
Showmanship, Backyard & Professional
On Site Judging
- Backyard’s and Professional’s will be judged together in the Showmanship Category.
- To be considered a Backyard’s, since May 1, 2014, you:
- Have not won or placed in a North Carolina Pork Council sanctioned Barbecue Cooking contest,
- Have not participated in two or more North Carolina Pork Council sanctioned Barbecue Cooking contests
- Barbecue Cook-off Committee will make final determinations on Backyard/Professional status
- All cooking spaces will be numbered and preassigned by the Festival Director. No changes will be allowed.
- A Festival official will direct you to your site. Each team is required to be checked in no later than 7:00 p.m. on Friday, May 1, 2015.
- Teams will be permitted to begin setting up their equipment anytime after 12:00 noon, May 1, 2015. Neither the Chamber nor the City of Kinston shall be responsible for any cookers or equipment brought to the grounds before this time.
- Each cooking space will be limited to a 12’ x 24’ area. For each 12’ x 24’ area one pig must be cooked. The Chamber has the required tent size available for rent. Please call 252-527-1131 for more information.
- At 7:00 p.m., an introduction of Teams and Sponsors will be held at the Main Stage in the Pearson Park. This will be followed by a mandatory Chief Cooks meeting in a separate area to be determined.
- Each cooking team shall have one person designated as Chief Cook. The Chief Cook shall be the only person permitted to present the pig during the judging process.
- The Festival will provide a 100-125 lb. pig. Pigs will be distributed on Friday, May 1, 2015 between 8:00pm - 9:00 pm and the contest will officially begin at that time.
- All pigs must be cooked in an above ground cooker. Should a gas cooker be used, it must meet the safety standards such as proper regulator, tanks must be secured to prevent accidentally being overturned and any other requirements the Festival Director deems for safety precautions.
- The USE OF GASOLINE FOR ANY REASON IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
- Cooking teams are requested to keep their cooking area free of trash. Please use the trash containers provided at various locations. Each team is responsible for site cleanup at the end of the contest.
- All cooking teams are requested to be discrete with any alcoholic beverages consumed on the Festival premises. Law Enforcement Officers will be present.
- All cooking teams are requested to respect the rights of others in attendance for the Festival, with special emphasis from each team member relating to loud music, loud or profane language or infringement on adjoining sites with any equipment, cookers, cars, campers, vans, pickups, etc. Curfew for quiet time will be midnight. Security will be provided throughout the evening.
- There will be musical entertainment on Friday evening, May 1, 2015. Food and beverages will be available.
- Gloves are not mandatory, but a basin of water and soap is mandatory for cleanliness purposes.
- During the judging process, any item that displays the logo or information concerning or the identity of the cooking team MUST BE REMOVED. During the On Site Judging, no trophies or pictures of trophies are allowed to be displayed.
- All safety precautions must be followed. Each team must have a working fire extinguisher.
- A Festival staff person will be assigned to accompany the judges while the pigs are being judged. The staff person will collect score sheets. The score sheets will contain no information that will in any manner identify the cooks or sponsors. The Festival staff, not the judges, will total and grand total the score sheets.
- Pigs should not be sauced inside or out. Those pigs that have been sauced will be disqualified.
- No external heat source may be used other than the grill. Some examples might include but are not limited to, heat guns and torches. Those using external heat sources will be disqualified.
- Injecting pigs will not be allowed. Some examples might include but are not limited to, sauce and product drippings. Those injecting pigs will be disqualified.
- Following the judging for On Site Judging, the pigs shall be kept warm until picked up by the Festival staff. Except for the ribs, which may be removed with permission of the staff, all pigs must be turned in whole following judging. Contestants must remove the cooked pork from the grill and place in provided container for pick-up. Contestants not turning in whole pigs or removing cooked pork from the grill will be disqualified.
- In the event of a tie, Festival Staff will refer back to the judging sheets and the winner will be awarded by the highest points in category meat taste, if still a tie, then skin crispiness, then moisture.
- Chief Cooks will be able to pick up the score sheets at the contest following the announcement of winners.
- Contest winners will be announced at approximately 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 2, 2015. (or as soon as judging is completed and results are calculated).
- All checks for product quality and showmanship will be given to the Chief Cook the day of the Festival. Trophies will be presented to the Chief Cook on Saturday, May 2, 2015.
- Each team will receive four complimentary BBQ plate tickets.
- All cookers and equipment must be removed no later than 6:00 p.m., May 2, 2015. Neither the Chamber, nor the City of Kinston shall be responsible for any cookers or equipment left on the premises after 6:00 p.m., May 2, 2015.
PLEASE NOTE SPACES ARE LIMITED!
For more information contact,
Tammy Kelly, Chair, Hog Happenin’ at
North Carolina Cooperative Extension
Thank You 2015 Sponsors...
2015 BBQ Activity Partners
Burgers and Brew Sponsor
Sauce Boss Sponsors
Southern Sides Awards Sponsors
Dr. Kenneth Lee Johnson MD Internist- Kinston NC
Friends of the Festival
City of Kinston • Falling Creek Country Club
King's Restaurant • Lenoir County Sheriff’s Office
Kinston Public Services • Lenoir County Emergency Services
Lenoir Oxygen Supply • Lenoir Community College
Leonard Buildings and Truck Accessories
Mills International, Inc. • North Lenoir FFA Students
Riverside Bicycles and Outdoor Sports
A-1 Auto Repair of Kinston Inc. • Wal-Mart of Kinston
Minges Pepsi • Capps Trailer & Promotions
Chamber President’s Club Festival Members:
Theme Song by The Donald Thompson Underwood Band